Saturday, February 3, 2007

Feeding the lions cold turkey


"Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings."-1Peter 5:8-9

Right here is good, not to far away, no people....good. I got some time to kill, hope God speaks to me fast here. These thoughts were swirling in my head as i looked for some place to read my Bible were I wouldn't be subject to all those stares. The collegiat crowd is fairly hostile towards anything that prevents their insatiable desires to "live it up." Thus, naturally they normaly choose to resist scriptures, usually justifying their decisions by listing off all the hypocracies committed by the "white-washed tombs" that inhabit the church....I don't blame them one bit either.
I sat down outside the Business building and busted out the Bible. There was only one guy out there and he didn't seem to notice much of anything.
After about five minutes the dude put out his cigarette and looked at me. "Good book you got there," he said. "Yep" I replied thinking, "would you shut it, I only have like 20 minutes to finish this chapter"(yeah I know). "You know I gotta read it like atleast thirty minutes a day or else I am totally derailed," he said. "Well it's good....international bestseller," I shot back hoping that he'd laugh and we'd return to our stranger status.
"you see I'm a recovering addict," he said.
I closed the book and looked at him, slightly taken aback at his vulnerablility...we hadn't even shaken hands.
Conviction- the act of convicting (thank you Webster) I then looked up
Convicted- the state of being convinced, syn. certainty
I'm convicted about a lot of things. I'm convicted that Captain Crunch is my favorite ceral, green is my favorite color, and the George Harrison solo in "Let it Be" is the best in Rock history. This dude was convicted that there was something better than intoxication and being doped. He told me that he "had to read that stuff" or else his day was sentenced to overwhelming temptation.
Here's the Kingdom, sharing each others convictions...because we know that we must "resist" the forces that threaten them for the sake of the "brotherhood." We resist these lion-like forces that are bound to break the beauty we are all entitled to right now.
What are your convictions?

No comments: