Sunday, January 28, 2007

When You Look Into Their Eyes, You'll See It


The t-shirts came in today. Humorously, a few members of the community where giving me a mock question and answer session when they saw me "sporting" the shirt that proclaims in big black block letters "The Kingdom of Heaven is Here." I can't wait to recieve all the glimpses, confused wonderers, and questioners as a result of this 99% cotton 1% polyester shirt. (weird right! I am used to the 90% 10%, 10%...not talking about tithes)
I saw the Kingdom again today, it is sprouting up all around in our community. Scott told a story in his sermon this morning about the best coffee house in town. And, although the story was a dead on picture of how the Kingdom of Heaven can make people react, I reacted with a mere "mmm."
It was during communion that I was broken(in the good sense) completely on the inside. It's not like this was the first time for me to cry in church, which is the beauty of it...each cry is unique, as unique as God's hand made flesh bursting into this shattered mosiac of a world.
As I was in line to recieve the body and blood(which has this awesome grape flavor) my eyes fell upon a woman and her child kneeling near the lip of the stage. I saw the Mother gently and quitely turn to ask her daughter something. My imagination tells me that she was asking something along the lines of "what do you want to pray about?" The holy spirit has this way of charging into me like a rhino(a group of rhinos is called a "crash," look it up). All I was doing was singing this song waiting for my "turn," and he revived the vitality of this can-become bland ritual. I saw a woman in a sense, empowering her kid by gently asking her to pray. The "two" of them were "coming together in his name(Mat. 18:20)," as I was about to come together with God in communion. In that moment I wept....really(I don't even know if anybody else took notice of the event on the lip of the stage).
In that moment I understood the way God relates to us, his word says "for [I] was pleased to call you mine(1Samuel 12)." I wonder if right there on the lip of the stage if that mother was thinking about her beautiful blonde-haired kid, "I am pleased to call you my own."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meg: You need to write a book. The humor, poignancy, and authenticity of your words gives God an alleyway into all of our hearts. Thank you, thank you, for sharing.

Anonymous said...

MEG!

Communion is always so full of those images. I love to look at peoples hands when I serve communion. They seem so poetic. A paramedic, lawyer, mom, backhoe operator, little girl, grandmother. Amazing.

Anonymous said...

Brooke says...Meg what a beautiful idea. I love this idea. The Kingdom of Heaven is all around us, if only we take time to recognize it. Super work, I will look forward to reading more.