Monday, February 12, 2007

What Do They Call French Fries in France?


In this post I will be reffering to people as either "Adam" or "Eve."

9 " 'When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. 10 Do not go over your vineyard a second time or pick up the grapes that have fallen. Leave them for the poor and the alien. I am the LORD your God."-Leviticus 19

I went out to lunch after the services on Sunday, I was sitting across a dude whom I have become good friends with and he offered to pick up the tab for me and another person at the table. I was taken aback(as I always am when people want to pay) but I went along with the flow, hey free lunch! Towards the seventh inning stretch of the meal...I had had my fill and left only a few remaining french fries (I think the French would say, "our fries"). Then a giant, lovable, moose-like man made his way around the corner, and greeted our Texas banquet table (that's what we call picnic tables with cheap table clothes that have been thrusted together to seat a party of 8 or more). I yelled a greeting at him, he sauntered over and snatched two of my fries. I just laughed at him and said "hey!" because what's the use...I was already done.

I was already done, and the two potatoes skins were no "skin" of my nose. But, I heard a story today that blew me out of the water. There is this local coffee shop that shut down at around 11:00pm last Friday evening. Workers at a another competing coffee shop shut their own doors...to join the indebted manager in scrounging up some last dollars in order to pay a burdening debt. There was reportedly no less than 150 people in the small roadside joint an hour at a time. For one whole week a whole community decided to spend their money at the floundering java establishment.
There was a silent auction in the back and musicians playing the whole time.
One kid brought his mint condition acoustic guitar to donate to the auction. All of the musicians that played at the Espresso Extravaganza signed the glazed maple with popping silver Sharpie. An "Adam" saw an "Eve" casually eyeing the guitar, she had always wanted to learn how to play, but never had owned one.
At the end of the auction the gang was packing up and handing out the items to their new owners.
EVE- let me go get the case for your guitar.
ADAM- thanks
(EVE brings over the case and gently puts the instrument inside)
ADAM-(grabs it and hands it right back) now I want to bless you with it.

Looks like Eve is gonna have to learn how to play now.

No comments: